Preserving and Investing Sterling Silver Jewelry
STERLING SILVER IS AN INVESTMENT AND WHAT BETTER WAY TO SAFEGUARD THAT INVESTMENT THAN TO CARE FOR IT. THOSE PIECES WELL CARED FOR WILL NOT ONLY GIVE YOU GOOD RETURN FOR YOUR MONEY BUT WILL BE A LEGACY TO LEAVE TO YOUR CHILDREN IN THE FUTURE. KEEP THOSE PRECIOUS PIECES OF STERLING SILVER IN TOP SHAPE.
Sterling Silver can tarnish giving the effect of an antique piece of jewelry. Sterling silver jewelry that is worn continuously often develops a nice patina, a kind of glow combined with darkened areas which is the antique appearance. Not all pieces look good with this patina effect. Sometimes is due to your body chemistry reacting to the silver metal. It is a matter of preference if you want to wear it like that or in its original state.
Sterling silver is not like any other jewelry metal that doesn't require special care for the preservation of the end product; it does need attention. Hope my guidance will help you to make a wise decision to care for your sterling silver jewelry.
Cleaning Your Sterling Silver Jewelry
- When I am in a rush, I like to clean mine with toothpaste that has no phosphate like Sensodyne orchildren toothpaste (they don't have phosphate) and a soft toothbrush, a quick and easy way. Do not rub and use a very soft Just applied the toothpaste to the jewelry and brush very softly for few seconds only, rinse and dry well. This method is very fast, but I don't suggest to use it with sensitive pieces that will scratch easily.
- A low abrasive cleaner, such as 3M Tarni-Shield Silver Polish, is a good choice for removing light tarnish.
- Also, there are bottle with special liquids for silver such as Connoisseurs Delicate & Silver Revitalizing Jewelry Cleaner Kits
I will suggest that you invest on ultrasonic machine, they are powerful unit that gently cleans in minutes without damaging delicate jewelry, and you can put multiple pieces in one cleaning cycle. They use special solutions such as ultrasonic solutions. Most of the time the machines come with their own solutions, and you only have to purchase the refills.
This photo is of a jewelry ultrasonic cleanser machine at Walmart for $9.99. There are others more expensive in the market. This one is a good option.
I have an old one- photo at the top of this blog- that is very good. As you see, I have my own equipment to keep all my jewelry gold, silver, sterling silver, stones ready to go. I have not only the machine but liquids appropriate to clean jewelry, cloth to shine and clean, brushes and all.
Make sure you thoroughly dry all of your jewelry adornments after cleaning! Keep moisture away from stored jewelry also, because dampness is a culprit that encourages verdigris (a bright bluish-green encrustation or patina formed on copper or brass by atmospheric oxidation, consisting of basic copper carbonate). rust, pitting of plated metals, and other damaging conditions. Set specific time to clean your jewelry, like every week or every month. I do mine at night, it is quiet, and I am more relaxed.
Products to avoid:
There are plenty of products specifically geared for cleaning jewelry.
- You need to make sure that the cleaner doesn't contain ammonia, vinegar, or any other acids or alcohols.
- Read the label and make sure you are using a cleaner safe for whatever material your jewelry is made from (silver, gold, brass, bronze, copper, chrome, stainless steel, aluminum, pearls, opals, marble and any gems).
- Don’t use soap and water, because most soaps will leave a residue on the metal and make the stones look dull. Windex can damage delicate stones and finishes.
- For items that you pull out of the jewelry box to wear it only once, clean them before and after each use.
- To avoid scratching your sterling silver jewelry with other jewelry items, keep it separated in a box, pouch, or cloth
- Stones should be with stones, silver with silver. Sterling silver should be in airtight plastic bags or anti-tarnish cloth drawers.
- Never place silver with gold. To simply get the dust and dirt off of your sterling silver jewelry, use the softest toothbrush that you can find or use a very soft cloth to clean the surface.
- Keep an anti-tarnish tissue papers or anti-tarnish strips inside the drawers or inside boxes where you store your jewelry. This will keep your jewelry in top readiness specially
- Each one of my drawers have anti-tarnish strip underneath the jewelry or on top, no preference
- .You can also use anti-tarnish material, it is a little costly, to cover your drawers with it and then place jewelry over it without boxing or bags.
I like to buy my anti-tarnish tissue by the roll. It is expensive but I can have enough to last me a life time. https://www.amazon.com/westernb2k-TISSUE-PAPER-TR-ANTI-TARNISH/dp/B00TN5
Subscribe in a reader